Thursday, September 1, 2011

They Worship the Lord, but Served Other Gods.

I knew when I chose this book that it would be a tough subject.  As Americans we have so many distractions. So many things, people and places that take our focus away from God. Kelly mentions that her heart was stirred when she read 2 Kings 17:33 & 41. It’s the spring board for her book.
33They feared the LORD, and served their own gods, after the manner of the nations whom they carried away from thence.
41So these nations feared the LORD, and served their graven images, both their children, and their children’s children: as did their fathers, so do they unto this day.
I wondered who “they” were so I did a little research.  They were the people that the Assyria king brought from Babylon, Cuthah, Avva, Hamath and Sepharvaim and settled in Samaria.  These people were moved into the land.  Through some persecution from the Lord the people asked the king for someone to teach them the ways of the “god” of the region.  They didn’t know of the Lord and therefore didn’t know how to worship Him.  The King sent one priest to teach them. But they still served the idols from their homelands.  That’s the short version.
“The people were living split lives, worshipping the One while serving the others.”  As I read Kelly’s words I thought of the people around me. We do the same thing. We worship God on Sunday, but serve other “gods” throughout the week. I’m just as guilty of this. The more I read and study this the more I can see it.
“Both verses speak of worship to God but service to idols ….Yet if you could have witnessed what I was controlled by, what motivated and moved me, you would have seen that in many cases it was not God at all, but my idols. Not carved images, but people, career paths, materialism, acceptance, and more.” Yes, those have been my idols too.  Doing things to please others instead of what would please God. Buying that book or dress or food item instead of turning to God for comfort. Walking down a destructive path because I desired so badly to be accepted instead of know that I already am by God.
Kelly’s cure for this action is learning to turn from our idols to God. Replacing those other things that don’t satisfy with the God that does.  I’m looking forward to this journey of discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment